Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Alpha State




The Alpha State

Commuting three days a week from work would seem to be a tedious. Especially when one traverses the dreaded I-405 and the I-10, an issue would arise. Thanks heavens to the Alpha State. The Alpha State is defined as: "Slow brainwave activity state of hypnosis (resting but awake). Also known as hypnoidal. Alpha is slower (deeper) than Beta, the awake state, and faster than Theta, a deep hypnotic state." The term restful but awake is predicated on the premise that stressing about the traffic is not a priority.

One way of achieving the alpha state is by listening. Specifically, I listen to podcasts of my favorite radio shows: "A Way With Words," "Catholic Answers," "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me,” Boston Illegal." and a lot more. This can also be termed as conscientious distraction, because I pay attention to my driving while being in the Alpha State.

Some people argue that the alpha state is a good thing. Well, it could be a good thing, as long as it does not detach people to interpersonal relationships. The term detachment would be bad if people are engrossed too much and they do not see what is happening around them. As a side note, technology such as mp3s, videogames, and movies would put people into an Alpha State. This is the claim that I am asserting throughout this whole entry.

No comments: